The Counseling and Accessibility Unit of Democritus University of Thrace (DOSYP) was founded according to the University Senate’s decision 40/51/12.12.2017.
DOSYP started operating in 2018 and during its initial operation stage, it has been funded by the PA (Partnership Agreement for the Development Framework) 2014-2020, through the act “Supporting social care interventions for the students of the Democritus University of Thrace”.
It is consisted of two departments: : (1) the Counseling and Psychosocial Support department and (2) the Accessibility department.
All DOSYP services are addressed to all students of the Democritus University of Thrace.
Τhe Counseling and Psychosocial Support department.
- Individual and group Counselling in order to support students who face difficulties with studies (learning disabilities, difficulties in learning and comprehending, lack of concentration, exam stress) or other psychosocial issues
- Periodic evaluation of the psychosocial needs of the students.
- Group Counseling
- Networking with health and social services in their area .
- The department consists of a Psychiatrist, Psychologists and Social Workers.
The Accessibility Department
- adapting the learning environment by leveraging digital accessibility tools,
- design of accessible library and internet workstations,
- developing a digital environment for counseling, psychosocial support and accessibility activities,
- converting educational materials and textbooks into accessible formats,
- personalization of supportive technology per student applicant and training in the use of supportive technologies and software.
Accessibility of DUTH Buildings and Infrastructure:
- accessibility study of buildings and other infrastructures
- evaluating modifications to improve accessibility to DUTH buildings and providing know-how to other entities